Guide to Moving
Moving home can potentially be a hectic process, so to take some of the stress away from you, Whittle International Movers has called upon over 130 years of experience to create a detailed guide to moving home.
Here are our top 10 tips for a stress-free removal…
- Don’t forget to reroute mail, notify banks, insurance companies, doctor, dentist etc. and cancel milk and newspapers.
- Before moving starts, it is always a good idea to plan ahead. Start by de-cluttering the house, loft or garage and disposing or recycling of any unwanted items. The local council will have facilities to recycle any unwanted electrical or small household items.
- We strongly recommend a home survey to assess the removal. At Whittle International Movers, we offer a free, no obligation home survey which can be arranged at a convenient time to suit you. It is advisable to arrange a visit with our representative at least four weeks prior to your removal.
- Try not to leave the packing to the last minute. At Whittle International Movers, we can supply a variety of packing materials for you to make a start well in advance of the proposed move day; all you need to do is call us to arrange a convenient day to deliver the materials to you.
- If you would like to take the stress and hassle out of the packing, why not enquire about our packing service?
- As you pack each box, make a list of its contents and label it accordingly. This will save you time in the long run when it comes to unpacking. It sounds obvious, but try not to make the boxes too heavy – make sure you pack any books, CDs or DVDs into smaller boxes so they are easier to carry.
- It’s a good idea to have one box set aside that you can pack your essential paperwork, passports, birth certificates etc. into, so you know where the most important things are during the move.
- If you are planning to dismantle any items of furniture, make sure this is completed the day before the removal, and that you have all the fixings in a safe place. It’s also a good idea to keep keys from cabinets and cupboards in a safe place too.
- On the day of the move, before you leave, take a final look around your property, making sure you haven’t forgotten anything. Things such as lamp shades, mirrors and paintings are often forgotten, so double check for such items!
- Check with your insurance provider regarding moving your house contents – you may not be covered for moving. At Whittle International Movers we can arrange insurance cover on your behalf, giving you that additional peace of mind during the removal process. We cover the areas of Preston and Blackburn.
Step-by-Step Moving Guide Follow our useful infographic covering the key preparationsRead more »